Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Wonderful Japanese English

I have thought for quite a while about doing a blog called Things I Love About Japan.  I still may.  But I just can't wait any longer to talk about how much I love Japanese English. Of course, the names of beauty shops are really fun, and it's sometimes hard to imagine what they were trying to get across with the name.  For instance, "Brownie," "Hair Make Sheep."


But I also regularly see signs and hear people say things, or read in an email, and they are understandable, but just so charming.  I love it.  So here are a few examples of what I mean:


In Nakano, we went into the visitors center near the monkey park.  The floor was shiny clean and smooth.  On the door it said, "Attention of Slippery Floor."  


On the trail up to the monkey park, in the forest, there was a steep hillside above us and a huge boulder had rolled down onto the walkway.  The sign next to it read:  "Because of the situation when a step is bad, please be careful."  



There was an advertisement poster on the window of a store.  There was a drawing of a lamb, under which was written "lame," and an elephant, under which was written, "elephone."  So cute!!


This is from a poem written on some stationery:  A moon, only one, innumerableness twinkle stars and the bear,
They watches children all over the warld and their sleeping."  (And I did mean to type "warld.")


On another page of stationery:  "The thing that today is happy is a lot."


And this warm request:  I am so appriciate to your love for me and each of members.  Well, I planned the meeting, and atacched with this e-mail.  I hope your adivise for it.




I could give more examples, but this gives you the idea.  I love it and only hope that when I attempt what little Japanese I know, it can be half so charming.

No comments:

Post a Comment