Before Japan, I had never had the opportunity to try working with clay. When Sister Baird mentioned that we would have an opportunity to go try doing it, I didn't get all that excited. I knew I wouldn't be good at it, and I wasn't sure I wanted to even waste the time.
But then we went to Seto. Seto is famous for it's pottery. The city has some of the world's finest clay for pottery, and ancient spots have been found in the area where clay was dug out for making pottery centuries ago. Sister Baird loves to take people who are visiting to a special shop where pottery making has been in the family, from generation to generation, for 16 generations.
This wonderful man started out doing something else when he was young, but as his father aged and there was no one to take his place, the idea of continuing on in the family tradition called to him. He answered affirmatively, and I'm glad.
C |
| Cato san and his sweet mother. |
Lee and I went with Sister Baird and some family who had come to visit from Utah. It was one of the most enjoyable, peace-giving, relaxing activities I've done in a long time. I loved it. I loved the feel of the clay in my hands, and I loved watching it respond to my touch. I loved fashioning it into something useful. And if I ever made a mistake, I could get help from "the touch of the master's hand."
He would be alongside to help, to coach, and to repair.
![]() |
| While Sister Dalton was here, Sister Baird also took her to experience this. She loved it as well. |
How like life. We are doing our best, shaping ourselves and our families to the best of our abilities. But when things aren't quite perfect, we have the master's hand to fix our foibles and perfect what we can't perfect, so that after we have been fired and painted, we will be just as He wants us to be and much better than we ever thought we could be. Oh, thank Heaven, for the touch of the Master's hand in our lives.






That was a beautiful analogy. Thank you. I am glad you are enjoying your time over there. I enjoy reading about your adventures. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful post! A beautiful message, and one I needed to read. I am so grateful to you and Uncle Lee for blogging your experiences. I am touched each time I read. Love you both!
ReplyDeleteThank you for posting such a beautiful story and analogy. I love reading your posts about what you are doing and learning about.
ReplyDeleteSending my love to you both!