Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Gates

Almost since our first time to go on a walk in Japan, I have wanted to do a blog on---gates.  If you are already bored, go ahead and click off.  I won't be offended.  But I have enjoyed seeing the many beautiful gates in front of the Japanese homes.  I have also loved seeing the many different car ports and covered parking areas.  And most fascinating of all, seeing how the Japanese people manage to park their cars in the tiniest of places.  They are masters of backing into a thimble (or at least, into a space that is approximately the same size as their car).

So here are a few pictures around our neighborhood that we finally got one morning recently.  I think they are beautiful, and I want to remember when I get home.

This may look like wood in the photo, but all gates are steel or iron.
I love the Japanese trees in the landscape.



This is one of my favorites--so lacy.

Most people keep their yards very neat, and we often see people
out in front of their homes cleaning up the sidewalk and curb and road.
They pick up weeds and papers, and even clean everything
out of the ditches in front of their homes.

Another favorite.  Lee used his I-phone and I should have asked
him to do a higher resolution, but you get the idea.

This car is back in as far as it will go without hitting the house.
As you see, there are just inches on either side.
Notice the chain across the front near the windshield.
Why?  So it won't run away?


I love this gate, too.







This home looks quite American, but Japanese people live there.
It is just down the street from the mission home.  The garage door on the
left is interesting to me.  It is just that...a door.  There is no cover for
the car once they drive "in", but the door and side walls get the car out of view.


Always neat and tidy.

And now for a few parking spots:
This one would be considered roomy.  In many instances they have
cut away gardens to make room to park.  

This is very typical of a parking spot.  There used to be a home on
the left, but it was torn down and the ground is settling before
they build something new.

Once again, there is no cover on top for this car.  But it's at least
a two-car garage and provides protection from being damaged by people, if not by nature.

This is often seen, too.  The side of a house that used
to be a garden area, now parking for two cars, but only
if they are juggled.

This is unusual.  Parking for three cars and it's covered!







Just a bit of protection from rain and sun.

Roomy.

One of the larger parking areas we've seen.

This is the mission home.  No gates in front.  Open and inviting.  

This is the cutest garage.  It's hard to get perspective, but the
garage itself is only about 5 feet high inside.  I couldn't stand up in it.
It was definitely built for tiny Japanese people, not big Americans.
And your dose of hair salon names:  Hair Make Granny M, Hair Make Marble Ink, Hair & Make Heaven.





No comments:

Post a Comment